To bring in high quality new patients, you need to focus on specific niche markets. A niche market is simply a “subset” of a larger market.
There is everyone who could be a chiropractic patient, but within that group, you can divide them even further into specific niches.
Niche marketing can make a huge impact on your practice. The spinal decompression boom of the last 4-5 years shows this to be true. But you don’t have to invest in expensive equipment to do niche marketing. Just match up good advertising with niche conditions, and do what you already know how to do…help people get well!
So what are the best conditions to focus on in 2009 and beyond?
The answer to the question of “what niches should you focus on” will depend quite a bit on how your office is set up. If you have special equipment, like detox machines, decompression tables, or cold la-sers, you’ll want to focus on those niches first.
With that said, there are some very good niches that will bring you good quality new patients, thereby being more profitable. Here are my top 5
1. Fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia affects at least 6 million women in the US each year, and these patients aren’t getting answers anywhere else. The key is connecting with these patients on their level. These patients usually need nutritional and lifestyle advice as well. Important to recognize if you sell products in your office that can help their condition.
2. Herniated/ Degenerative Discs. These patients have usually tried multiple medical routes with little to no help. Many of them are facing surgery and would love to find a more natural solution. This market is available even if you don’t own a decompression table. But having one can help.
3. Arthritis. Osteoarthritis alone affects nearly 21 million people, accounts for nearly a quarter of primary care visits, and half of all NSAID use in the U.S. This group focuses on the baby boomers which are currently the most affluent group in America. You may be thinking you’ve been helping people with arthritis for years, but are you using the term “arthritis” specifically in your marketing?
4. Neuropathies. Sciatica, numbness, tingling, radiculopathies, and other never problems fall into this group. This is a very motivated group that must hear from you soon so they will not be confined to a life of surgeries and dangerous medications. This is the newest of the 5 listed, because so many people are getting neuropathies these days. One doctor recently sent me the following email about doing neuropathy marketing…
5. Headaches and migraines. Approximately 22 million women are affected by migraines alone in the United States. Because these patients have suffered for many years (some since childhood), they will be a very good patient and can be easily helped by chiropractic care.
There’s my Top 5 niche conditions to focus on in 2009. You could probably add a few more but you’ll find the 5 above to be excellent quality patients when it comes to staying, paying and referring.